A look at the former Central of Georgia's roundhouse in Savannah, GA. This was once the main office and shops of the C of G railroad. In 1963 the C of G was bought by the Southern Railway and the shops were deemed unnecessary and closed. Thanks to a few local citizens the complex was saved from being torn down and was preserved as a museum. Most of the structures date to pre Civil War times. The roundhouse was updated in the 1920's for larger steam engines. In the 1950's the original 1850 sections of the roundhouse were demolished to make room for diesels. |